Product Information Page
Banner Promotion Locations ( BannerPromotionLocations ) :
Maximum Banner Promotions ( MaxBannerPromotions ) :
Search engine optimised description ( SEOdescription ) :
Search engine optimised keywords ( SEOkeywords ) :
Search engine optimised title ( SEOtitle ) :
Title ( Title ) :
Is Top Priority? ( TopPriority ) :
Image ( Image ) :
Link to the Preview Page ( PreviewLink ) :
Product Overview ( Overview ) :
Guidance on safe use of machinery
Guidance on the safe use of machinery.
This Published Document provides guidance on the safe use of machinery supplied prior to the Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 1992 (normally machines supplied before 1995). It also provides guidance for users on:
- machinery designed to and manufactured in accordance with harmonized European machinery safety standards insofar as it is necessary, when following the instructions supplied for use; and
- basic principles of safeguarding, with reference to current harmonized European machinery safety standards.
It is intended that this guidance can be applied to any particular machinery during its modification, refurbishment, upgrading or change of use in order to satisfy the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.
History and related standards
This Published Document supersedes PD 5304:2000, which is withdrawn.
It includes the following cross references:
BS 4211, BS 6423, BS EN 294 : 1992, BS EN 418:1992, BS EN 982, BS EN 983,
BS EN 999, BS EN 1760-1, BS EN 1837, BS EN 60204-1:1998, BS EN 60204-11,
BS EN 60947-4-1:2001, BS EN 60947-5-3, BS EN 61810-1 and
PD CLC/TR 50404:2003.
PD 5304:2005 Guidance on safe use of machinery - a Published Document - covers the safe use of machinery and provides comprehensive guidance on practical measures and techniques that may be applied to machinery so as to safeguard operators, maintenance personnel and others.
The guidelines deal with issues ranging from selection of protective measures and safeguards through to practical examples of guard design and their application.
It provides advice on the safeguarding and use of machinery prior to the Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 1992 (normally machines supplied before 1995) as well as guidance for users of machinery designed to and manufactured in accordance with harmonized European machinery safety standards.
The aim of PD 5304:2005 is to promote a high standard of machinery safety during use and those other activities.
In a snapshot it:
- Describes and illustrates a variety of protective measures
- Explains methods by which it is possible to assess which measure(s) it is reasonable to adopt in particular circumstances
- Helps identify hazards
- Looks at aspects of machine design to eliminate or reduce risks
- Outlines the maintenance and safe working practices
- Considers what needs to be done for installation of guards and protective devices.
Who should use PD 5304?
This Published Document is intended for persons that deal with:
Safe use of machinery, including guards and/or safety devices
Refurbishment and modification of machinery
Development and implementation of safe working practices associated with the use of machinery.
It is intended that the guidance contained in PD 5304 can be applied to machinery during its use to assist those persons with duties under the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.
Contents of PD 5304:
- Application and strategy for selecting protective measures
- Risk assessment
- Identification of hazards
- Aspects of machine design to eliminate or reduce risks
- Selection of safeguards
- Guard design and construction
- Protective devices
- Interlocking considerations
- Safety-related control systems
- Installation considerations
- Maintenance and safe working practices.
- PD 5304:2005 supersedes PD 5304:2000, which is withdrawn.
A4 Looseleaf with binder
Promotional Text ( PromotionalText ) :
Discount Information ( DiscountInformation ) :
Material Id ( MaterialId ) : 000000000030142722