PAS 79:2012 Fire Risk Assessment. Guidance and a recommended methodology
PAS 79:2012 is provided with editable PDF versions of the example risk assessment forms (and their regional variations) that constitute Annexes B and E of PAS 79:2012.
If you purchase a hard copy, these editable PDF forms are supplied on an accompanying CD-ROM.
If you download an electronic copy, please call BSI Customer Services +44 (0) 20 8996 9001 who will advise how to obtain these editable PDFs. The forms are provided as guidance and should only be used in conjunction with PAS 79:2012.
PAS 79:2012 (Publicly Available Specification) gives guidance and corresponding examples of documentation for undertaking, and recording the significant findings of, fire risk assessments in premises and parts of premises for which fire risk assessments are required by legislation. It is not applicable in the case of a single-family private dwelling, or necessarily applicable to premises during the construction phase1 but is applicable to vacant premises, for which a fire risk assessment is required. The methodology is intended to provide a structured approach to fire risk assessment for people with knowledge of the principles of fire safety; it is not intended as a guide to fire safety.
The recommended approach to carrying out fire risk assessments is intended to determine the risk-proportionate fire precautions required to protect premises occupants including employees, contractors, visitors and members of the public and to protect people in the immediate vicinity of the premises.
This is a full revision of the document, and introduces the following principal changes:
- The technical content has been subject to amendment in the light of experience in the use of PAS 79
- There is new guidance on the role of codes or practice and guidance documents as a basis for determining the appropriate fire precautions
- There is new guidance on the approach that should be adopted in determining the appropriate fire precautions for existing buildings that do conform to current codes of practice applicable to new buildings (e.g. under current building regulations)
- A new annex contains a competence standard for fire risk assessors, developed and agreed by stakeholders in the fire safety profession
- Changes to, and publication of various new, British Standards have been taken into account.
PAS 79 was first prepared in 2005 in association with C.S. Todd & Associates Ltd, with the support and encouragement of the Institution of Fire Engineers and the Northern Ireland Fire Safety Panel, which represents building control and licensing authorities in Northern
Ireland, and the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service. It was first reviewed in 2007. That revision and this current revision were, again, drafted by C.S. Todd & Associates Ltd.
Acknowledgement is given to the following organizations that were consulted in the development of this Publicly Available Specification:
- Association of Building Engineers (ABE)
- British Approvals for Fire Equipment (BAFE)
- British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)
- Chief Fire Officers’ Association (CFOA)
- Fire Industry Association (FIA)
- Fire Protection Association (FPA)
- Institution of Fire Engineers (IFE)
- Institute of Fire Prevention Officers (IFPO)
- Institute of Fire Safety Managers (IFSM)
- Northern Ireland Fire Safety Panel
- Odeon Cinemas Limited.
This is a revision of PAS 79:2007, which is withdrawn.