BS EN ISO 14001:2004 Environmental management systems. Requirements with guidance for use
What is BS EN ISO 14001?
BS EN ISO 14001 is the international standard to help your business with environmental management systems.
It gives your business an outline of how to meet its environmental policy and objectives. Use the standard to implement an environmental management system from scratch or improve on your existing one.
BS EN ISO 14001 is useful for all types and sizes of organization. It also takes account of diverse geographical, cultural and social conditions that may exist in your business.
What can BS EN ISO 14001 do for me?
BS EN ISO 14001 will help your business to control the environmental impacts of activities, products and services.
BS EN ISO 14001 is useful to any business that wants to:
- Implement, maintain and improve an environmental management system
- Assure itself and others of its conformance with its stated environmental policy
- Seek certification/registration of its environmental management system by an external organization
- Make a self-declaration of conformance with this international standard.
How do I use BS EN ISO 14001?
BS EN ISO 14001 includes an easy step by step plan-do-check-act method:
- Plan: Establish the objectives and processes necessary to deliver results in accordance your organization’s environmental policy
- Do: Implement the processes
- Check: Monitor and measure processes against your environmental policy, objectives, targets, legal and other requirements, and report the results
- Act: Take actions to continually improve performance of your environmental management system.
All the requirements in this standard can be built-in to any environmental management system. This standard does not include specific environmental performance criteria as this will change from business to business.
Does BS EN ISO 14001 fit in with any other management system?
BS EN ISO 14001 is fully compatible with ISO 9001, the world’s most established quality framework. BS EN ISO 14001 includes a table that compares each section of both standards and outlines cross-over and correspondence between the standards.
The contents of BS EN ISO 14001 include:
Terms and definitions
Environmental management system requirements
Guidance on the use of this International Standard
Correspondence between ISO 14001:2004 and ISO 9001:2000
BS EN ISO 14001 has now been updated to include the ISO corrigendum from July 2009.
Getting the standard is a great start. To get the most out of environmental management, you should also consider training, certification and verification.
NOTE: The British Standards Institution (BSI, a company incorporated by Royal Charter),
performs the National Standards Body activity (NSB) in the UK. BSI, together with
other BSI Group Companies, also offers a broad portfolio of business solutions other
than the NSB activity that help businesses worldwide to improve results through
Standards-based best practice (such as certification, self-assessment tools, software,
product testing, information products and training).
You might be also interested in:
Product Sustainability Conference 2015: Join us on Wednesday 10 June 2015 in London and hear all about the wide topic of product sustainability with updates on footprinting standards and initiatives, overview of activities, trending subjects, issues, needs andsolutions around product sustainability, as well as an array of examples of products sustainability in action.