PAS 68 Impact test specifications for vehicle security barriers
This Publicly Available Specification (PAS) has been prepared to address the needs of organizations who want assurance that vehicle security barriers will provide the level of impact resistance they are aiming for.
Many systems are available that are either promoted or considered suitable for use as vehicle security barriers. As their characteristics differ in both function and form, a comparative means of assessing their performance is required.
PAS 68 identifies impact test methods, tolerances, test vehicle type and vehicle performance criteria that need to be met in order to conform to PAS 68. Design guidance for installing barriers is provided in PAS 69:2006.
PAS68 cites a classification system for the performance of vehicle security barriers and their supporting foundations when subjected to a single horizontal impact.
This PAS specifies two test methods of determining the performance classification of vehicle security barriers:
- The vehicle impact method
- The design method [which includes the use of finite element analysis (FEA) techniques if validated by test data].
This PAS lists alternative test methods for determining the performance classification of a vehicle security barrier.
This PAS does not cover the performance of a vehicle security barrier when subjected to blast or ballistic impact.
Contents of this specification for vehicle security barriers include:
- Normative references
- Terms and definitions
- Vehicle impact method – Classification code
- Vehicle impact assessment
- Design method
- Test preparation
- Generic rigid test foundation for a single fixed bollard for vehicle impact tests
- Alternative methods of impact testing
- Proforma test report
List of figures
- 1. Measurements to be recorded
- 2. Test block for access by a pedestrian intruder
- 3. Test vehicle’s impact condition
- 4. Vehicle classifications – Illustrations
- 5. Indicative camera locations (plan view)
- 6. Generic rigid test foundation specification for a single fixed bollard
List of tables
- 1. Performance classification – Vehicle impact test
- 2. Vehicle impact test criteria
- 3. Specification for test vehicles
- 4. Permissible values for performance class – Design
- 5. Product design criteria
- 6. Assessment of modified vehicle security barriers
- 7. Generic rigid test foundation specification for a fixed bollard
PAS 69:2006 Guidelines for the specification and installation of vehicle security barriers
See more standards for transport and automotive industries