BS ISO 10003:2007
Quality management. Customer satisfaction. Guidelines for dispute resolution external to organizations
BS ISO 10003:2007 provides guidance for organizations to plan, design, develop, operate, maintain and improve effective and efficient external dispute resolution for product-related complaints. Dispute resolution gives an avenue of redress when organizations do not remedy a complaint internally. Most complaints can be resolved successfully within the organization, without the need for further time-consuming and more adversarial procedures.
BS ISO 10003 can be used to:
a) design a dispute-resolution process and decide when to offer dispute resolution to complainants, and
b) select a dispute-resolution provider that is able to meet an organization’s specific needs and expectations.
BS ISO 10003 can assist individuals and organizations in evaluating the effectiveness, efficiency and fairness of an organization’s dispute-resolution process. Implementation of BS ISO 10003 can:
- provide flexible dispute resolution that, in comparison with court-based processes, can be less expensive, easier and quicker, especially in disputes across borders
- help to enhance customer satisfaction and loyalty
- provide a benchmark against which individuals and organizations can evaluate claims by organizations and providers that they operate in an effective, efficient and fair manner
- help to inform potential users of dispute resolution about the conditions of access, cost and the legal consequences
- enhance the ability of an organization to identify and eliminate causes of disputes
- improve the way complaints and disputes are handled in the organization
- provide additional information that can contribute to improvement of the organization’s processes and products
- improve the organization’s reputation or avoid damage to it
- improve domestic and international competitiveness
- provide confidence of fair and consistent treatment of disputes throughout the global marketplace.
BSI ISO 10003 is compatible with BS ISO 10001, BS ISO 10002, BS EN ISO 9001 and BS EN IS0 9004.
New guidance from BSI British Standards targets low consumer satisfaction and confidence
See the full press release here