BS EN 55024 establishes uniform requirements for the electromagnetic immunity of information technology equipment. The test methods are given in the referenced Basic EMC Immunity Standards. BS EN 55024 specifies applicable tests, test levels, product operating conditions and assessment criteria.
The object of BS EN 55024 is to establish requirements which will provide an adequate level of intrinsic immunity so that the equipment will operate as intended in its environment. It defines the immunity test requirements for equipment defined in the scope in relation to continuous and transient, conducted and radiated disturbances, including electrostatic discharges (ESD).
Owing to testing and performance assessment considerations, some tests are specified in defined frequency bands or at selected frequencies. Equipment which fulfils the requirements at these frequencies is deemed to fulfil the requirements in the entire frequency range from 0 Hz to 400 GHz for electromagnetic phenomena.
The test requirements are specified for each port considered.
Contents of BS EN 55024 include:
- Scope and object
- Normative references
- Immunity test requirements
- Conditions during testing
- Performance criteria
- Product documentation
- Telecommunications terminal equipment
- Data processing equipment
- Local area networks (LAN)
- Copying machines
- Automatic teller machines (ATM)
- Point of sale terminals (POST)
- Normative references to international publications with their corresponding European publications
- National Annex NA
- CENELEC Interpretation Sheet