Guidance for IT service management
PD ISO/IEC TR 20000-3:2009 Information technology. Service management. Guidance on scope definition and applicability of ISO/IEC 20000-1
If you are a service provider planning service improvements or preparing for a conformity assessment against BS ISO/IEC 20000-1, then this standard will assist you.
This part of BS ISO/IEC 20000 can also help if you are considering using BS ISO/IEC 20000-1 for implementing a service management system (SMS) and need specific advice on whether BS ISO/IEC 20000-1 is applicable to your business. It also shows you how to define the scope of your SMS based on practical examples, for assessment, irrespective of whether you have previous experience with other management system standards.
PD ISO/IEC TR 20000-3:2009 supplements the advice in BS ISO/IEC 20000-2, which provides generic guidelines for implementing an SMS in accordance with PD ISO/IEC 20000-1. PD ISO/IEC 20000-1 specifies a number of related management processes.
Part 3 of BS ISO/IEC 20000 provides guidance and commentary on scope definition and applicability of BS ISO/IEC 20000-1 to enable service providers to fulfil the requirements specified in BS ISO/IEC 20000-1.
This part of BS ISO/IEC 20000 gives a list of main points on stating scope, on the applicability of BS ISO/IEC 20000-1 and on demonstrating conformity to BS ISO/IEC 20000-1. It also includes examples of scope statements, which vary according to the service provider’s circumstances.
Service providers who plan to implement an SMS based on BS ISO/IEC 20000-1 are required to define the scope of their SMS. Most service providers are dependent on a complex supply chain for the delivery of the overall service. Most service providers provide a range of services to several different types of customer. This makes the definition of service management scope, and the agreement of the scope statement, a complex stage in the service provider's adoption of BS ISO/IEC 20000. PD ISO/IEC TR 20000-3 provides guidance on the applicability of PD ISO/IEC 20000-1 and scope of the SMS based on practical examples.
PD ISO/IEC TR 20000-3 takes the form of explanations, guidance and recommendations. It provides practical examples of the scope statements to service providers, irrespective of whether they have any previous experience with other management system standards.
This part of ISO/IEC 20000 provides practical examples of scope statements for the service provider irrespective of whether they have experience of documenting a scope statement required by other management system standards.
The contents of PD ISO/IEC TR 20000-3 contain:
- Normative references
- Terms and definitions
- Fulfilling the requirements specified in ISO/IEC 20000-1
- Applicability of ISO/IEC 20000-1
- Governance of processes operated by other parties
- The extent of technology used to deliver services
- General principles for a service management system (SMS) scope
- Integrating or aligning with other management systems
- The scope of the SMS
- Defining the scope
- Limits to the scope
- Service contracts between customers and the service provider
- Scope definition parameters
- Permitted types of scope definition parameters
- Currency of parameters
- Changing the scope
- Supply chains and SMS scope
- Reliance on suppliers
- Supply chains
- Suppliers, lead suppliers and sub-contracted suppliers
- Demonstrating conformity
- Maintaining an accurate scope statement
- Main points on applicability of ISO/IEC 20000-1, scope definition of the SMS and conformity to ISO/IEC 20000-1
- Examples of scope statements
- Relationship with supplier
- Relationship with lead suppliers and sub-contracted suppliers
The following standards may also be of interest:
BS ISO/IEC 20000-1:2005
Information technology. Service management. Specification
BS ISO/IEC 20000-2:2005
Information technology. Service management. Code of practice