BS 5440-1:2008 specifies requirements for the installation of gas appliances to chimneys, chimney installation work likely to be undertaken by gas engineers and operatives working under UK gas industry conditions and requirements for the maintenance of chimneys.
BS 5440-1 is applicable to open flue chimneys for Type B gas appliances and room-sealed chimney configurations for Type C gas appliances, each of rated input not exceeding 70 kW net family gases. It is applicable to:
- complete chimney and all chimney components from the appliance connection to the discharge point into outside air
- the installation of gas appliances to existing chimneys that were intended originally for appliances burning other fuels
- chimneys for residential park homes but not to chimneys for leisure accommodation vehicles.
BS 5440-1 specifies the following:
- requirements for the selection of the appropriate flueing option for gas appliances in the UK
- requirements for the installation of gas appliances to new chimneys, or chimney configurations
- requirements for the installation of gas appliances to existing chimneys or chimney configuration
- requirements for the installation of appliances which carry a CE mark and for which the manufacturer’s instructions are available to the installer
- requirements installation of appliances which do not carry a CE mark and used/second-hand appliances for which the manufacturer’s instructions are available to the installer.
BS 5440-1:2008 supersedes BS 5440-1:2000+A2:2005, which is withdrawn.