The BS ISO/IEC 19794 standards are applicable to all identity management systems including:
- identity document delivery and access management systems such as border controls, corporate identity and access cards
- prison access/egress
- forensic identification - to identify casualties or suspects at the scene of a crime
- citizens' rights, including voting, national health, unemployment benefits, driving licences
- privileges associated with a particular employment category, including access to highly secure areas such as ports, airports, military establishments, company buildings, information systems
- access to services, including banking services, financial services, and online purchases.
BS ISO/IEC 19794 will be used in access control and identification systems such as those based on smart cards or other recognition tools, and also applies to the storage of biometric identification data in corporate databases.
BS ISO/IEC 19794-6:2005 defines a biometric data block format that contains a digital record of the image of an iris.
There are two alternative image interchange formats for biometric authentication systems that utilize iris recognition. The first can be produced by minimal processing of the image. The second is more compact, but requires more processing of the image.
BS ISO/IEC 19794-6:2005 specifies how the image is to be acquired, and how it is to be converted to a digital representation, with a full specification of the digital format.
3 Normative references
4 Terms and definitions
5 Symbols and abbreviated terms
6 Iris image format specification
Annex A (informative) Iris image capture
Annex B (informative) Sample image data records
See the full range of biometrics standards in the BS ISO/IEC 19794 series