If you specify, purchase or supply steel, BS EN 10083-1:2006 has been developed by technical experts as an invaluable to guide to the standard purchase specifications and delivery conditions of semi-finished, hot formed products such as:
- wide flats
- hot-rolled strip and sheet/plate
BS EN 10083-1:2006 should be read in conjunction with BSEN 10083-2:2006 and BS EN 10083-3:2006.
The standard does not cover bright steel products (see BS EN 10277 series) or continuously cast semi-finished products for which special arrangements must be made.
BS EN 10083-1:2006 concentrates on the general supply conditions; the detailed specifications of the steels themselves being defined in part 2 (non-alloy steels) and part 3 (alloy steels).
The steels are generally intended for the manufacture of quenched and tempered, flame or induction hardened machine parts, but alternatively may be supplied in the normalized condition.
- Normative references
- Terms and definitions
- Classification and designation
- Information to be supplied by the purchaser
- Mandatory information
- Manufacturing process
- Heat treatment and surface condition at delivery
- Cast separation
- Chemical composition, hardenability and mechanical properties
- Shearability of semi-finished products and bars
- Internal soundness
- Surface quality
- Dimensions, tolerances on dimensions and shape
- Testing procedures and types of documents
- Frequency of testing
- Tests to be carried out for specific inspection
- Preparation of samples and test pieces
- Selection and preparation of samples for chemical analysis
- Location and orientation of samples and test pieces for mechanical tests
- Location and preparation of samples for hardness and hardenability tests
- Identification of samples and test pieces
- Test methods
- Chemical analysis
- Mechanical tests
- Hardness and hardenability tests
- Marking, labelling, packaging
- Annex A (normative) Ruling sections for the mechanical properties
- Annex B (normative) Options
- Annex C (informative) Other relevant standards
- Annex D (informative) Dimensional standards applicable to products complying with this European Standard
- Annex E (informative) Determining the non-metallic inclusion content
BS EN 10083-1:2006 supersedes BS EN 10083-1:1991, which has been withdrawn.