The Data Protection Act 1998 is becoming an increasingly important piece of legislation, affecting the day to day operation of almost all organizations. The new British Standard BS 10012:2009 Data protection. Specification for a personal Information management system offers guidance on how to implement a framework to effectively manage personal information (a Personal Information Management system, or PIMS), putting in place an infrastructure for maintaining and improving compliance with the Data Protection Act.
The new BSI Data Protection Online tool can help you ensure your PIMS meets the requirements of the standard, access a library of updated guidance and relevant case studies.
The tool will cross-reference BS 10012:2009 and the value-added commissioned help text and guidance for each question in the self-assessment. Monthly updates to the guidance and case studies ensure that you are always referencing the most current legal practices.
For further ICT publications visit ICT & information governance books
Now you can ensure your organization's Personal Information Management System (PIMS) meets the requirements of BS 10012 with our new tool, BSI Data Protection Online.
BSI Data Protection Online library contains:
Monthly newsletters on data protection related topics and changes to legislation
Monthly updates and additions to the reference library
Advice on compliance to the Data Protection Act 1998
Full version of BS 10012
Advice on implementing and maintaining a PIMS
Guidance and advice on specific topics, for example use of email and the internet, handling subject access requests and related legislation
Case studies, sample policies, forms and templates
A comprehensive self-assessment toolkit which allows you to:
- Undertake a self-assessment process against the requirements of BS 10012
- Get contextual help for each question, written by data protection experts
- Start new self-assessments when needed, or amend existing self-assessments at any time, allowing you to track progress over time
- Share self-assessments with colleagues, and embed data protection best practice in your organization
- Create summary, detailed or custom reports on your self-assessments to compare and monitor change
- Cross-reference from the self-assessment questionnaire to the library.
- Gain confidence that your procedures for managing personal information are lawful and that you can embed these into your
organization’s core values
- Deliver a better service to your customers, safe in the knowledge that you are not compromising their trust
- Continually improve compliance with data protection legislation and best practice
- Stay informed of your compliance obligations via monthly updates, topical commentaries and case studies written by data protection experts with market experience
- Work smarter as you review your personal information management processes.
Who needs to use Data Protection Online?
It is applicable to any organization that holds personal information and spans all sectors and has no boundaries.
It can be applied to both public and private companies and organizations. It can also provide a useful starting point for multi-nationals developing a global PIMS.
BSI Data Protection Online has been designed specifically to make it easy to work across multiple sites and with multiple users. Manage your data protection legislative compliance in any jurisdiction for outsourced or cross-border activities. Or you can just as easily use it as a stand-alone application.
How to subscribe
Find out more / Make an enquiry
Data Protection Online can provide you with trust and confidence in your DP compliance. To find out more contact us:
Tel: +44 (0)20 8996 9001
Enterprise and consultant packages are also available on request.