Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance
BS EN 1998
BS EN 1998 applies to the design and construction of buildings and civil engineering works in seimic regions. The aim of BS EN 1998 is to protect people and limit damage during earthquakes.
BS EN 1998 Eurocode 8 is in six parts:
- Part 1 covers general rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings.
- Part 2 covers bridges.
- Part 3 covers the strengthening and repair of buildings.
- Part 4 deals with silos, tanks and pipelines.
- Part 5 deals with foundations, retaining structures and pipelines.
- Part 6 covers towers, masts and chimneys.
It is unlikely that BS EN 1998 needs to be used in the UK, except for special structures (e.g. nuclear structures, long span bridges and tall buildings).
Go back to the Eurocodes homepage