PAS 8810:2016 Tunnel design. Design of concrete segmental tunnel linings. Code of practice
Segmental tunnel linings are currently designed with reference to a large number of standards and documents. PAS 8810 brings all of these together into a single, usable standardization document that aims to reduce unnecessary administration and delay by streamlining, clarifying and standardizing the design process for segmental lining design.
What’s PAS 8810?
PAS 8810:2016 gives recommendations for the design of concrete segmental tunnel linings. It covers design considerations from project inception through to the end of the service life of the tunnel.
At the early stage of the design, the study of the options for the selection of the tunnel lining isn’t limited to concrete segmental tunnel linings. So, Clauses 4 to 8 in the PAS cover the general aspects of tunnel design and Clauses 9 to 12 give specific, technical recommendations on precast concrete lining elements for segmental tunnel linings.
Why is it important?
PAS 8810 sets out detailed recommendations by referring existing national and international industry standards. It also includes specific design recommendations for the design items not available in any other standards.
PAS 8810 covers:
- Functional requirements
- Conceptual design
- Characterization of ground
- Materials design and specification
- Material characterization and testing
- Limit state design
- Concrete segmental lining design
- Concrete segment lining modelling
- Instrumentation and monitoring
- Design management
This PAS doesn’t cover:
- Sprayed concrete lined tunnels
- Cast-in-situ concrete lined tunnels
- Any tunnel lining using material other than concrete, such as spheroidal graphite iron or steel
- Cut and cover tunnels
- Drill and blast excavations
- Hard rock tunnelling
- Pipe jacking
- Project planning and management
Who should use PAS 8810?
PAS 8810 should be used by:
- Design engineers