BS 8536-1:2015 Briefing for design and construction – Part 1: Code of practice for facilities management (Buildings infrastructure)
What is BS 8536-1:2015?
BS 8536-1:2015 is part of the BIM level 2 suite of documents developed to help the construction industry adopt BIM by 2016. It gives recommendations for briefing for design and construction, to ensure that designers consider the expected performance of a building in use. The standard applies to all new buildings projects and major refurbishments.
A second part (BS 8536-2) will be developed to cover briefing for infrastructures.
BS 8536-1 aims to:
- Involve the operator and the operations team and their supply chain from the outset
- Extend the involvement of the supply chain for the project’s delivery through to operations and defined periods of aftercare.
The scope of the newly revised BS 8536-1 has been expanded to include briefing requirements for soft landings, building information modelling and post occupancy evaluation (POE).
Some of the major changes are:
- The incorporation of the principles of soft landings promoted by BSRIA, Government Soft Landings (GSL) and RIBA: the integration of comprehensive information management with the requirements for POE to strengthen the link between asset/facility owners, operators and their facility managers and the design and construction team to assure performance of the design and the operational asset/facility
- Cross referencing of information requirements associated with “Level 2 BIM” in accordance with PAS 1192-2, PAS 1192-3, PAS 1192-5 and BS 1192-4
- Updated content aligned with current industry best practices in briefing
Mark Bew, Chairman of the UK Government BIM Implementation Group says that “The Government has a vision to reduce whole life costs of assets by 33% by 2025, and the revision of BS 8536 incorporating the principles of GSL will ensure that it will become one of the key guidance documents, alongside PAS 1192-2, PAS 1192-3 and BS 1192-4 to achieve this aim in both the private and public sectors”.
Who should use BS 8536-1:2015?
This standard should be used by:
- Architects/designer firms
- Structural engineers
- Mechanical and electrical engineers
- Real estate managers
- Facility managers
- Asset managers (owners/operators)
You might also be interested in downloading other free BIM documents