What is BS 8888?
BS 8888:2013 is the newly amended up to date technical product specification (TPS) that brings together, in one easy-to-follow document, all international standards needed to prepare technical product specifications (TPS), in accordance with geometrical product specification principles.
BS 8888 helps you to make better use of the ISO system of product specification because it covers more than just engineering drawing: instead you will find all aspects of technical product specification, including, for instance, the use of 3D CAD models to define component geometry are demonstrated.
Benefits of BS 8888
BS 8888 ensures you will:
- Have access to one reference source with all information
- Speak the same language when specifying and graphically representing products
- Are precise in their application by leaving no room for misinterpretation
- Help the smooth transfer of design concept to manufacturing process
- Shorten product development time
- Increase speed to market
Why has BS 8888 been upgraded?
With the latest revision of BS 8888, there have been several significant developments.
- Firstly, the standard has been completely restructured, to try and make it easier to find information.
- Secondly, the committee felt that the requirements for dimensioning had been under-represented in the 2011 version of the standard, so there is now a great deal more detail on this.
- Thirdly, after much soul-searching, the committee decided that it would no longer stick with the original wording of ISO standards in all cases. In certain sections, particularly the datum section, it was deemed necessary to completely re-write the content in order to make it easier to understand and use. Thus in certain sections, rather than reproducing ISO standards, BS 8888 is providing a commentary and explanation of the ISO requirements.