BS EN ISO 13849-1:2015 Safety of machinery. Safety-related parts of control systems. General principles for design
The structure of safety standards in the field of machinery is as follows:
a) Type-A standards (basis standards) give basic concepts, principles for design and general aspects that can be applied to machinery
b) Type-B standards (generic safety standards) deal with one or more safety aspect(s), or one or more type(s) of safeguards that can be used across a wide range of machinery:
> type-B1 standards on particular safety aspects (e.g. safety distances, surface temperature, noise)
> type-B2 standards on safeguards (e.g. two-hands controls, interlocking devices, pressure sensitive devices, guards)
c) Type-C standards (machinery safety standards) deal with detailed safety requirements for a particular machine or group of machines
What is BS EN ISO 13849-1:2015?
BS EN ISO 13849-1:2015 is a type-B1 standard and provides safety requirements and guidance on the principles for the design and integration of safety-related parts of control systems (SRP/CS), including the design of software. For these parts of SRP/CS, it specifies characteristics that include the performance level required for carrying out safety functions. It applies to SRP/CS for high demand and continuous mode, regardless of the type of technology and energy used (electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, mechanical, etc.), for all kinds of machinery. This part of ISO 13849 provides specific requirements for SRP/CS using programmable electronic system(s).
BS EN ISO 13849-1:2015 is the UK implementation of EN ISO 13849-1:2015. It replaces BS EN ISO 13849-1:2008 and BS EN 954-1:1997 which are now withdrawn and no longer carry a presumption of conformity to the Machinery Directive.
Relationship between BS EN ISO 13849-1:2015 and the Essential Requirements of the EU Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC:
- BS EN ISO 13849-1:2015 has been prepared under a mandate given to CEN by the European Commission and the European Free Trade Association to provide a means of conforming to the Essential Health and Safety Requirements of the New Approach Directive Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC
- Please note: the requirements ofand other EU Directives may also be applicable to the product(s) falling within the scope of this standard
Who should use BS EN ISO 13849-1:2015?
- Machine manufacturers (small, medium and large enterprises)
- Health and safety bodies (regulators, accident prevention organisations, market surveillance etc.)
- Machine users/employers (small, medium and large enterprises)
- Machine users/employees (e.g. trade unions, organizations for people with special needs)
- Service providers, e. g. for maintenance (small, medium and large enterprises)
- Standardization bodies elaborating type-C standards
Contents of BS EN ISO 13849-1:2015 include:
- Normative references
- Terms, definitions, symbols and abbreviated terms
- Design considerations
- Safety functions
- Categories and their relation to MTTFD of each channel, DCavg and CCF
- Technical documentation
- Information for use
You may also be interested in:
BS EN ISO 13849-2:2012 Safety of machinery. Safety-related parts of control systems. Validation
BS EN 62061:2005+A2:2015 Safety of machinery. Functional safety of safety-related electrical, electronic and programmable electronic control systems