BS 8878: 2010
Web accessibility code of practice
What is it?
BS 8878:2010 is the first British standard to outline a framework for web accessibility when designing or commissioning web products. It provides guidance for all sectors on meeting the requirements of the Equality Act 2010 which states that web products must be accessible to all. The BS 8878:2010 code of practice applies to all products delivered via a web browser, including websites, web services and web-based applications such as email. The standard also focuses on processes rather than technical or design issues and is recognised by the UK Government’s e-Accessibility Action Plan as a key tool for developing accessible online services.
How does it work?
BS 8878:2010 is designed as an introduction to digital accessibility for non-technical professionals. It will help anyone commissioning or designing a websit or product to ensure it can be accessed by anyone. It outlines ways to define and assess the impact of web products on users, especially disabled and older people. The standard explains different user needs, highlighting those with physical impairments or learning difficulties. It also provides a digital accessibility framework for product development and testing, as well as information that can be included in your accessibility and procurement statement. You can achieve regulatory and legal compliance with BS 8878:2010 and ensure your web products are available to a wider audience.
Who should buy it?
- Those responsible for web product policies and governance
- CEOs, managing directors, marketing and ICT managers
- Anyone creating web production, testing or validation tools
- People who write and deliver training courses in web production, design or coding
- Those responsible for promoting equality and inclusion, such as HR or CSR manager
- Procurement and project managers, web developers or web production and content teams.
BS 8878 might also interest:
- Assistive technology creators, vendors and trainers who need insights into how their technologies impact on the production of accessible web products.
- Disabled and older people whose web accessibility needs the standard aims to support and present.
BS 8878:2010 is a new standard and the first to address digital accessibility issues.
We are global, we’re independent and we’re trusted service provider to 80,000 businesses. We operate in 147 countries and are the number one certification body in the UK and US. We created 85% of our portfolio because we know standards and we know your business. We’re leaders and we can make you one too.
Download our consumers' guide to the British Standard for Web Accessibility (BS 8878)
Purchase our book - BIP 0137:2014 Including your missing 20% by embedding web and mobile accessibility
BSI press release for BS 8878
Digital Inclusion: First British Standard to Promote Web Accessibility Globally
View it on BSI’s YouTube Channel.