BS EN 15741:2009 Animal feeding stuffs. Determination of OC-pesticides and PCBs by GC/MS
BS EN 15741 specifies a gas chromatographic/mass spectrometric method for the determination of organochlorine pesticides (OC’s) and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in animal feeding stuffs and oil.
The method is applicable to animal feeding stuffs with a water content up to about 20 wt% and oil/fatty samples containing residues of one or more of the following OC’s and PCBs and some of their isomers and degradation products:
- Chlordane (= sum of Chlordane isomers and Oxychlordane)
- DDT (= sum of isomers op'-DDT, pp'-DDT, pp'-TDE (pp'-DDD), and pp'-DDE)
- Endosulfan (sum of α-/β-isomers and Endosulfan-sulphate)
- Heptachlor (= sum of Heptachlor and β-Heptachlorepoxide)
- Hexachlorobenzene (HCB)
- Hexachlorocyclohexane isomers α-HCH (α-BHC), β-HCH (β-BHC), γ-HCH (γ-BHC or lindane)
- PCB 28, 52, 101, 138, 153 and 180 (“Indicator PCBs”) and PCB 198, 209.
The method is not yet applicable to Chlorocamphene (Toxaphene), a complex mixture of polychlorinated camphenes. Chlorocamphene has a very distinctive chromatographic profile and is easily recognisable by GC/ECD. Positive identification of the toxaphene isomers can be performed by negative chemical ionisation mass spectrometry (NCI-MS), electron impact tandem mass spectrometry (EI-MSxMS) or electron impact high resolution mass spectrometry (EI-HRMS) , which is not within the scope of this method.
The limit of quantification for the mentioned organochlorine pesticides and PCBs is 5 ng/g in general. However, 10 ng/g applies for Heptachlor Aldrin, Endrin, Dieldrin, and Endosulfan (α-, β- and sulphate). Individual laboratories are responsible to ensure that the equipment they used will achieve these limits of quantifications
Contents of BS EN 15741:
- Normative references
- Terms and definitions
- Reagents and materials
- Preparation of test sample
- Calculation and expression of results
- Test report
- Important considerations
- Results of interlaboratory tests
- Description of PTV injection system (in case this is available).