What is BS 5839-1:2002 + Amendment 2:2008?
BS 5839-1:2002+A2:2008 sets the standard for fire detection and alarm systems in non-residential buildings. This code of practice gives essential guidance on effective design, installation and maintenance. And these are the latest recommendations on protecting your organization through fire detection and prevention. BS 5839-1:2002+A2:2008 applies to all fire alarm systems, from small manual networks to complex automated systems.
Best practice guidelines cover:
- fire extinguishing equipment
- smoke control
- automated door release
- and other critical safety measures.
Guidance on fire detection and alarm systems in residential buildings is given in BS 5839-6.
How does it work?
BS 5839-1:2002+A2:2008 shows you how to meet the fire detection and alarm system code of practice. It takes you from planning and design to installation and maintenance, outlining responsibilities and competencies for fire risk assessment.
All fire alarm system types are simplified and explained, including:
- automatic and multi-sensor detection
- carbon monoxide and video smoke detection
- cable types in networked systems
- how to limit false alarms through more efficient design.
Who should buy it?
- Risk and health and safety managers and auditors
- Fire alarm engineers and inspectors
- Organizations that want to update an existing fire detection and alarm system
- Organization that want to implement a fire detection and alarm system.
BS 5839-1:2002+A2:2008 has been revised to include the latest technology and recommendations for fire detection and alarm systems.
Read more here
We are global, we’re independent and we’re trusted service provider to 80,000 businesses. We operate in 147 countries and are the number one certification body in the UK and US. We created 85% of our portfolio because we know standards and we know your business. We’re leaders and we can make you one too.
The BS 9999 Handbook. Effective Fire Safety in the Design, Management and Use of Buildings
Download chapter 1 of the guide to BS9999
Read more and buy the guide to BS 9999
The design and installation of voice alarm systems. A guide to BS 5839-8
Order your copy