BS 8900:2006 Guidance for managing sustainable development
BS 8900 is designed to help organizations to develop an approach to sustainable development that will continue to evolve and adapt to meet new and continuing challenges and demands. It offers clear practical advice with which to make a meaningful contribution to sustainable development.
This standard guides organizations towards effective management of their impact on society and the environment, along the route to enhanced organizational performance and success.
BS 8900:2006 is designed to:
- Provide a framework so organizations can take a structured approach to sustainable development by considering the social, environmental and economic impacts of their organization’s activities
- Be applicable to all organizations, in terms of size, type etc, including civil societies and trade unions
- Make it easier for organizations to adjust to changing social expectations
- Help organizations to connect existing technical, social and environmental standards, both formal (e.g. ISO 14000 series of standards) and private standards (e.g. the GRI and the AA1000 standards)
- Offer a maturity pathway for the development of the management of sustainable development issues and impacts
- Provide organizations’ stakeholders with a useful tool to assess and engage in improving organizational performance
- Contribute to international level dialogue in the international standard on social responsibility, currently under development.
Dr. Simon Zadek, CEO of Accountability and Co-Chairman of the Committee responsible for the development of BS 8900 says of the standard:
“BS 8900 will help advance the cause of sustainable development by making it easier to integrate into organizational processes, decision-making and behaviour”.
Professor David Jackman of the Ethics Foundation and Co-Chairman of of the BS 8900 Committee comments that “this standard represents a bold step forward for BSI. Sustainable development is positioned firmly at the cutting edge and is an important area affecting the future of all of us”.
A guidance book supports BS 8900
A Handbook for Sustainable Development. A companion to BS 8900 'Guidance for managing sustainable development'
Read more and purchase a copy of A Handbook for Sustainable Development. A companion to BS 8900 'Guidance for managing sustainable development'.
Energy Management Principles and Practice: A Companion to BS EN 16001:2009
Download Chapter 1 from the Guide to BS EN 16001
See also: A guide to 8901:
Making Events More Sustainable: A Guide to BS 8901
Fiona Pelham and Phil Cumming
New sustainability standards also available:
BS 8901:2009 Specification for a sustainability management system for events
BS 8902:2009 Responsible sourcing sector certification schemes for construction products. Specification