BS 8555:2016 is almost here. Pre-order your copy now
Building on BS EN ISO 14001 and the EU Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS), this British Standard provides guidance to all organizations on the phased implementation, maintenance and improvement of a formal Environmental Management System (EMS).
BS 8555 makes particular reference to small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) but is applicable to any organization, regardless of the nature of the business activity undertaken, location or level of maturity.
It outlines an implementation process that can be undertaken in up to six separate phases and allows for phased acknowledgement of progress towards full EMS implementation.
It also includes advice on the integration and use of environmental performance evaluation techniques during the implementation process and the co-ordination of an EMS with other management systems.
BS 8555 will help all organizations improve their environmental performance and their supply chain relationships with the following guidance:
- Describes a six-phase incremental approach to implementing an EMS using environmental performance evaluation.
- Provides information to organizations on environmental performance management and the use of environmental performance indicators.
- Helps organizations satisfy the environmental criteria increasingly being set in contract tenders by new and existing major clients.
- Can be used by organizations who may wish to self-declare or seek voluntary phased recognition throughout the implementation process.
Beyond this, those using the standard can:
- choose to engage in environmental performance management to the level commensurate with the risks they face
- identify and maximize the areas of greatest potential return on investment
- demonstrate to interested parties that progress is being made towards the target level of environmental management.
Contents of BS 8555 include:
- Normative references
- Terms and definitions
- Implementation process
- Additional support tools
- The EMAS Regulation
- Links between BS 8555 and BS EN ISO 14001:1996