PAS 2021:2012 Exercising due diligence in establishing the legal origin of timber and timber products – Guide to Regulation (EU) No 995/2010
BSI and WWF-UK Global Forest & Trade Network (GFTN) produced a good practice guidance to support industry efforts in the responsible sourcing of forest goods and sustainable forest management.
This guidance has been sponsored by GFTN and developed to help the timber industry meet the impending EU timber regulation (EUTR) which came into effect on 03 March 2013.
Despite global work to promote responsible forest management and trade, the trade in wood and paper from illegal or controversial sources continues - hence the introduction of the EUTR.
Developed by consensus and through a steering group of industry experts, PAS 2021 aims to:
- Help organizations identify if they are affected by the new regulation and their obligations
- Help organizations develop and implement a due diligence system to minimize the risk of illegal timber in supply chains
- Describe good practices for responsible trade in timber and timber products that go beyond the minimum requirements of the Regulation.
PAS 2021 will be of significance to any organization that places timber or timber products (including materials made from pulp and paper) on the EU market, or any organization that sells and buys such products already available on the EU market.
The guide is primarily intended for organizations operating in the UK but could be used by organizations operating in other EU member states.
Download your free copy of PAS 2021
Contents of PAS 2021 include:
- Organizations affected by the Regulation and their obligations
- Due diligence system
- Risk assessment and mitigation
- Good practice for a beyond compliance approach