BSI Membership - Terms and Conditions
Extract from the Bye-Laws of the BSI, Section 1, MEMBERS.(A full version - Sections I to VII, is available by request).
1. There shall be two classes of members of the Institution, namely Subscribing Members and Committee Members, who shall have the respective qualifications, rights and privileges herein after set out.
2. Subscribing Members - Any person of whatever nationality and any Body wherever constituted, formed or incorporated who or which has applied to the Institution for membership as a Subscribing Member, is accepted for membership and pays the relevant annual subscription shall be a Subscribing Member. A Subscribing Member may also be a Committee Member, but in such event shall retain all his qualifications, rights, and privileges as a Subscribing Member.
3. Committee Members - Any person serving on the Board, a Business Board, a Council or a Committee of the Institution shall be a Committee Member during the period of such service.
4. The Chief Executive shall have the authority to reject any application for membership as a Subscribing Member. Upon acceptance as a Subscribing Member, the name and address of that person or Body shall be entered in the Register of Subscribing Members.
5 (a) Membership subscription rates shall be determined by the Board on the advice of the Chief Executive. Any changes shall be notified to the earliest possible Annual General Meeting and individually to each Subscribing Member.
(b) In the event of a Subscribing Member disputing the amount of an annual subscription for any year, the matter may be referred to the Board which, after taking the views of both that Subscribing Member and the Chief Executive, shall finally decide the amount of such annual subscription.
6. Subject to Bye-Law 55(a), every person who is entered in the Register of Subscribing Members or is the authorised representative of any Body which is entered in the Register shall be entitled to vote at any General Meeting of the Institution and shall otherwise have full rights of membership. Members of the Board shall also have the rights to attend and vote at general Meetings whether or not they are Subscribing Members, or representatives of Subscribing Members.
7. A member shall cease to be a Subscribing Member of the Institution.
(a) If his subscription shall be in arrears for more than three calendar months from the date on which the subscription became due, unless within that period a reference to the Board pursuant to Bye-law 5(b) shall have been made;
(b) if he shall by three months’ previous in writing resign his membership;
(c) if the member, being a body corporate, has an effectual order made or resolution passed for its winding-up or shall enter into any liquidation (other than for the purpose of a bona fide reconstruction or amalgamation);
(d) if the member, being an individual, shall die or being a firm or partnership, shall be dissolved or in any cases becomes bankrupt or compounds with his or its creditors or becomes incapable by reason of mental disorder, or is convicted by a competent tribunal of any offence which in the opinion of the Board renders him or it unfit to be a member; or
(e) if at a meeting of the Board of which the member shall have twenty-one days’ notice in writing and at which he shall have been given an opportunity of being heard, at least two thirds of the number of members of the Board present at that meeting vote in favour of a resolution that it is undesirable in the interests of the Institution that the member shall remain a member of the Institution.
BSI Subscribing Membership - Payment Terms and Conditions
1. Payment is strictly due 30 days from the date of invoice*.
2. Members who wish to cancel their contract must do so within 30 days of the Membership Contact set-up. No refund will be given after the 30-day period.
3. Membership subscriptions will be back-dated to the original date of renewal if a Member rejoins within 6 months of this date.
4. A subscription to BSI Membership allows you to purchase PDFs online and pay by invoice (subject to approval).
*Late payment of your invoice will result in the suspension of your Membership benefits, any PLUS list and any other Member services that you subscribe to at the BSI Member rate.