Read the article from Construction Manager: Material efficiency is targeted by new standard
BS 8895 Code of practice for designing out waste in building projects: Part 1 Principles and framework for building design briefing
BS 8895 Part 1 provides principles and an implementation framework for waste prevention and minimisation during the RIBA Plan of Work Stage A (Appraisal) and Stage B (Design Brief) that assist organisations and individuals to enhance a building’s sustainability performance and effectiveness; and establishes a common basis for communication for adopting and embedding waste prevention and minimisation for the subsequent design stages. It standardises the relevant definitions, principles, framework and processes to ensure consistency throughout all life cycle stages of building projects.
BS 8895 Part 1 forms the foundation standard for a suite of future BSI standards and codes of practice intended to address specific and interrelated issues and processes of designing out waste in building projects across the RIBA Plan of Work Stages and supplement the Green Overlay to the RIBA Outline of Work. The proposed future standards related to designing out waste in building projects are:
- Part 2 Principles and framework for Concept Design and Design Development.
- Part 3 Principles and framework for Technical Design.
- Part 4 Principles and framework for Production Information.
- Part 5 Principles and framework for Tender Documentation and Action.
Members of the standards committee include representation from the following organizations:
- Loughborough University
- Network Rail
- Royal Institute of British Architects
- Strategic Forum Waste Sub-group
- Waste and Resources Action Programme
- Constructing Excellence
- ECS - Cabinet Office
- Co Opted - Arup
- Co Opted - BAM Construct
- Co Opted – Ben Adams Architects
- Co Opted - Buro Happold
- Co- Opted - Davis Langdon
- Co Opted - Green Measure Consultants
- Co Opted - Make Architects
- Co- Opted - Waste Recycling Environmental
- Co-opted - Morgan Sindall
- Co-opted - West One Management
To be kept-up-to-date with the latest Project Waste Management news, register your interest.